Thursday, February 7, 2013

I'm gonna stop washing my hair.

The picture below is my hair exactly one hour after washing it. It is a greasy, disgusting hot mess. Oh and I let it air dry. If I had used a hair dryer, oh lord would it be nasty.

I read an article in Kiwi magazine the other day about the "No 'Poo Movement". Basically, give up your shampoo that is actually damaging your hair, and take a more natural approach that helps restore your hair to its fabulous, naturally healthy self.

So here's the deal: pick a day. That will be your last day of shampooing with regular shampoo. Get a good whiff of your fave 'poo b/c you won't be using it anymore after that day. Of course you shower daily like usual b/c eww if you don't. Haha. But you'll need to get a shower cap. The girl in the article who did this said it will take 3 to 4 weeks for your hair to sort itself back out, and here's why. The way shampoo cleans your hair is by stripping away its natural oils, or sebum. B/c of this our scalps work way too hard to replace everything, and they end up over producing. She said that when she was 4 days in, she tried the washing method that was most common for most other No 'Pooers: a tablespoon of baking soda mixed with a cup of warm water. Massage this into the scalp nice and good, then rinse. To condition: a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a cup of water. You won't stink, promise :) This is going to be your new washing regimen! Every 2 to 3 days clean your hair this way and you should be golden. Be prepared for lots of ponytails, but the overall affect should be amazing!

Here's why I want to do this; I have naturally very fine hair and the whole greasy hot mess an hour after showering is getting old. So I'll update y'all on how it goes. Hopefully it won't be a total disaster! Ha.

So what do y'all think? Have you done this before? Are you gonna try it out with me? I wanna hear what you think!


 photo chickapeasiggy_zpsaf5931e6.png

3 comments:

  1. Hmmmm..I am terrified to do this because my hair gets SO greasy so fast I don't know if I could stand it. But I am excited to let you be the guinea pig & let us know how it works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could skip washing my hair...with all of the workouts I do it's impossible NOT to!

    ReplyDelete